Skip to main content

BLOGILKAR EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: BIRGIT ÕIGEMEEL

Next one to have a chat with Bicycling reporter Robert is Estonian Birgit Õigemeel. When is the baby due? How she got started? Who her idols are? This very talkative young lady talks about music therapy and the sound of music among other things. And what's she got to do with Silvi Vrait and who does she want to represent Estonia in 2014?


Thank you Birgit for this interview. First of all I will mention some words, that you can react and then I will ask something more, ok?
Ok!
Family life!?
Ha ha, family life this year is very special for me as I am pregnant! But I have a big family, I have three sisters. My mother is a music teacher and my sister is singing also, but they are not professional singers but music is their hobby as well. They sing in a choir and ensambles and other music stuff. So I have already a big family! We all love music so it has influenced also me.
When did you know that you wanted to make it professionally?
I think since I was a child. I started singing with my mother when I was 3. At 7 I joined the Estonian television's children choir. It was a very popular choir and we travelled the world and did competitions all over. I also played violin for 10 years and when I went to high school it was Georg Ots music school - Georg Ots is a very popular singer in Finland, too.
You had it in mind already then that you want to be a singer?
Yes! In 2007 when I was 18 I graduated and participated in the first Pop Idol in Estonia and I won it! I didn't have any expectations when I went there but I won and after that I got a record deal and my career started.
How many albums have you released so far?
Three. They are all different in style as I want to do different things. The first one was maybe most similar to the Eurovision song's style, pop ballads and rock. The second one was Christmas songs album and the third one electronic pop album. Right now I feel like I want to do the pop ballad music again. We are working on my 4th album and we hope to release it sometime in November-December. 
And when is you baby due?
My baby's due on October 3. 
And your husband is involved in music, too?
Yes, but his not my husband but partner and he's my manager also, and he has some other artists in Estonia, too. His job is very flexible so he can work from home or the office, so.... 
He's also writing songs for you?
No, he's not. But Mihkel Mattisen, composer of my song is our good friend, his best friend actually and he's writing songs for me so it's like our little music family. 
Who has inspired you in music?
Actually I don't have any idols! How is that possible? Everybody has idols but... I like to listen to very different kind of music. Right now I'm learning music therapy in Tallinn University and I have learned music is everywhere, every sound is music. I get inspiration of everything, people inspire me the most. Not one particular person.
Why are you doing music therapy? Is it of interest of yours or is it necessary to have another profession in Estonia bsides music to survive? 
Yes. Maybe when I'm older I can't sing anymore so I need another profession, too. I have to think of that now, too. But now I want to study it because it seems so interesting! It's hard to explain, you must experience it yourself. Also, I wanted to study something to do with music, but not music itself like going to music school again.  
You didn't want to study vocal teaching or something....
No. But I might do that one day, too. In Kohila where I am from outside Tallinn my sister has a studio where she teaches dancing and singing, and I do some teaching there for little girls about solo singing. But only once a week, a bit like a hobby right now.
Ok, let's move on. Musicals?
Musicals are very popular in Estonia. We have many theaters but the one in Tartu is the biggest music theater. I did there a few years ago my favorite role in The Sound of music, that was also my favorite movie when I was a little girl. It was a dream come true. It run for two years and it looks like next year we will do it again!
So you are doing albums, music therapy and musicals at the same time.....
Yes! 
You must like Eestilaul as you have participated three times. Do you see it as a platform for a music career in Estonia?
Yes, of course. It is the biggest song contest and TV-show in Estonia. If you qualify for the final you have a hit in your hands! And if you win, the Eurovision song contest is like a gift for you. But Eestilaul is popular alone as well. Because of that I have participated, not every year but....
So you will be back?
Ha ha ha I don't know yet but I think so, yeah! Ha ha ha!
Eurovision and representing your country is an honor but what do you hope to gain in a long run for your career by showing yourself to Europe?
I haven't been thinking about it a lot. My music career is 6 years old and I like to do Estonian music so the Estonian audience is very important for me. But of course if we get to the final, and a very good placement there, we'd like to do some music in English, too, and hopefully have a chance to sing also abroad. 
So you are interested in an international career?
Yeah, of course I am.
Why you decided to sing in Estonian even in Eurovision?
Actually we did other language versions also: Swedish, English, Russian and Spanish. Not only for fun, we added them to the single, too, and hopefully those will be played in radios abroad. But we decided to sing in Estonian because in Estonia it is very important, Estonians want to hear music in Estonian. We are only one million people so it's very special. Previous years have also shown that Eurovision fans also like Estonian. I don't know why?! Ha ha! It's quite hard langauge!
What do you consider your best performance so far?
Uff... it's hard to say. Of course Eestilaul's winning performance was something special, when I went to the stage as the winner. All those applauses and the feeling, omg that was something! is this happening to me?
Also because it was a huge surprise for you?
Yes. All the 10 songs this year were really great and we didn't have a clear winner or favorite. Of course Winny Puhh was really famous and last year Ott Lepland won with a ballad so we thought....  We thought people wouldn't vote for a ballad this year again. Also Grete Paia was great.
In the end it was between you and her.
Yes. She got second place.
What do you do before going on stage, some vocal training or are you just confident enough to walk up there and sing?
I need a lot of sleep. I sleep almost 10 hours a day! But we do some vocals practise, too. Mihkel and my partner Indrek both do some vocal practise and massage and we all do our little ritual, ha ha.
Do you have any future dreams?
Right now my dreams have come true. I'm pregnant and I'm in Eurovision! And I'm really popular in Estonia. Everything is so great now I can't dream anything else! I'm really enjoying the moment! I want to live day by day....
Who would you like to see next on Eurovision stage for Estonia, in 2014?
Hmmm... oh, I don't know! We have many artists in Estonia.... Ott (Lepland) is a very good friend of mine and he was there last year...
So he can go again?
I don't know! Ha ha! Maybe Lenna Kuurmaa? She has participated twice in Eestilaul and both times 2nd. She's really wonderful singer and really wonderful woman also.... 
So, Lenna Kuurmaa for next year! What are your favorite Eestilaul songs so far?
I really liked Kuula. He gave the single to me before the contest and I thought omg this is such a good song! It's still a good song! And in Estonian, I think it's important. And of course I have to remember Everybody, our winning song. And Urban Symphony with Rändajad. Unfortunately they are not a band anymore, Sandra isn't singing so much anymore, I'm quite sad about that.... Or maybe we should send some older singer....
Like Silvi Vrait? Is she still singing?
Ha ha, yes. Actually she's doing the nun in The Sound of music, she's like a second mother to me! 
Ok, that's it. Thank you for the interview and good luck next Tuesday and see you in the final!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ESC 2016 WISH LIST: MARGARET FOR POLAND

Małgorzata Jamroży aka Margaret has also been tipped for Eurovision and apparently she did turn it down but she'd be perfect. She's got a look and persona you can't unnotice nor forget, she's got hit songs, she has been voted or nominated for everything from Trendy artist to the Hope of the Year, Fashion Icon and Glamour Woman of the year besides the usual best video, song, album, debut..... Oh she's also a fashion designer! She's very clever with social medias and would surely use it to her advantage if selected for Stockholm 2016. Her debut album is titled Add the blonde , do we need to say more? Except it includes mostly Swedish written pop tunes like Tell me how are ya , Wasted , Start a fire and Heartbeat . And of course her debut single and internationally noticed Thank you very much that you can enjoy below with all its anti-textil feel. I think she's Eurovision perfection, she's cheeky and fun, can we have her?

SONGS OF THE YEAR 2015: #5 KRISTA SIEGFRIDS - ON & OFF

Krista Siegfrids is delivering nice pop tunes one after another and this one is particularly catchy and soon you will be singing along..... Hopefully her Melodifestivalen entry will be equally good!

GOODBYE, FAREWELL...

The time has come. After all these years, 5,7 million visits, 12.000 articles I guess the time has come. As much as I love and care for Eurovision it just doesn't feel the same. The Corona years took their toll and the past two years and certain decisions have helped me to mature the idea that next year I will hear the songs for the first time in semi-final just like any so called local.  The bubble has burst. Add the toxicity in social medias and fandom. The arrogant teenagers who saw their first contest somewhere 2017 or even 2021 who think they know it all and only their opinion matters. Did I mention the toxic atmosphere on social medias? I'm too old for that sh*t. It's been a long ride that took me to various Eurovision on spot as a fan and tourist,  as a journalist, as a delegation member. I met some great people, made memories of lifetime. In stressful, sad periods of my life this blog has been my safe place, a place to escape and forget everything else for an hour o

ESC 2016 BELARUS: NAKED WITH WOLVES?

Today's funniest Eurovision related story comes from Belarus. Some sources claim Ivan wants to perform on stage naked and with live wolf or wolves. It surely would be a first on Eurovision stage! We have seen some forgotten underwear over the years, and some cardbox animals though..... Is it time to take things a bit further?  No, according the rules live animals are not allowed, and Eurovision being a family show nudity won't do either. (It seems to be ok to be half naked if you are a dancer though..... )

NO AMOR IN ICELAND FOR ÁSDIS MARIA

In Iceland Söngvakeppni Sjónvarpsins 2014 started as well. Five songs in the running and two were voted to the final: Gréta Mjöll - Eftir eitt lag and Gissur Páll Gissurarson - Von . To be honest I'm not very suprised about the choices even if I was hoping for Ásdís María Viðarsdóttir - Amor to make it. The people of Björk didn't warm up to that enough, sadly. Also Sverrir Bergmann - Dönsum burtu blús and Vignir Snær Vigfússon - Elsku þú are out but that's ok. Or maybe I would have sent Ásdis Maria with Vignir to the final....Oh well. Next week another five songs and two qualifiers.

ESC 2016 ARMENIA: IT'S IVETA MUKUCHYAN!

Armenian tv has revealed tonight the name of their artist for the 2016 Eurovision song contest in Stockholm. It's 29-year-old Iveta Mukuchyan. Born in Yerevan she moved with her family to Germany when she was 6. At 23 she moved back to Armenia and continued her music studies. She has taken part in the Armenian Pop Idol finishing 5th in 2010 and she also did The Voice of Germany . In 2012 she was voted the Sexiest Armenian.  Armenian tv has made a call for songwriters all over the world to submit a song for her by November 13, 2015.  Let's see which direction the final choice will go, Freak or her latest release that you can hear below.... Whatever it is it will be an improvement from last year's fiasco.....

GREECE: HELENA PAPARIZOU HITS AGAIN WITH HAIDE

Eurovision song contest 2005 winner Helena Paparizou has been enjoying Top-5 hits every year since 2003 with the exception of 2010 and 2014, this latest one being already her 27th! And Haide is charting also in Bulgaria and Finland, of all places. The catchiness of her hits has changed less over the years than her face....  Here's the English version , below the Greek version. 

EUROVISION 2024: DAY 3 REHEARSALS FROM MALTA TO ARMENIA

As there isn't much to blog when rehearsals are done with closed doors (and yes, I'm all for it!)  I will just do a feature with a couple of  photos from the rehearsals as published by Ebu. Today we moved on to semi-final two and were treated with more coned shoulders and masked faces - a real trend this year. I was most curious about Albania and Switzerland as their staging team is the same as UMK's and therefor also Windows95man's (and Käärijä's) last year.  Sadly the white and black outfit trend also continues with very few exceptions and after first semi-finals "nudity" we get Czechia's "nipple" dress. And if in the first semi-final I wished Luxemburg wore something else here it is Albania.... And it looks like the producers decided to open both semi-finals with a young girl with long dark hair in a pantsuit with dancers doing acrobatics ...  Should they both qualify (which I doubt) I hope they are put back to back. MALTA ALBANIA GREECE S

EUROVISION 2024: DAY 6 - FIRST REHEARSALS OF THE BIG 5 + SWEDEN

The Big 5 are in town and on stage for the first time today for their first 30 minute technical rehearsal. And there are boxes. United Kingdom has a dirty old boxing training hall's shower room where everything seems to go very dizzy indeed a la George Michael's toilet scenes. Germany has a house on fire instead and the box theme continues with Sweden.... France goes all intimate instead and does already the familiar step back from microphone a Capella thing that will go wild in the arena. Can't wait! UNITED KINGDOM GERMANY SWEDEN FRANCE SPAIN ITALY All photos as always from eurovision.tv

EUROVISION 2024: DAY 5 - SEMI-FINAL ONE SECOND REHEARSALS

Today all entries in the semi-final one had their second rehearsals of 20 minutes. Not much to add but Luxemburg had changed the outfit. Or rather added some scarfs on top of it.... Still not good I must admit.  CYPRUS SERBIA LITHUANIA IRELAND UKRAINE  POLAND CROATIA ICELAND SLOVENIA FINLAND MOLDOVA AZERBAIJAN AUSTRALIA PORTUGAL LUXEMBURG Photos as always from eurovision.tv