We travel from Sweden to Latvia, and from Serbia to Israel in this year's Eurovision song contest semifinals. The production team has tried to make the best of the outcome of the allocation draw that took place in January where the coutnries were divided into semifinals, and into their first or second half. And I think they did a pretty good job.
I always thought Sweden is as obvious opener as Finland was last year. What could have been better last year than a happy cheerful uptempo invitation to sing it away? Nothing. If the staging then fall flat on stage, well... it's not SVT's fault. This year the TV audience will be amazed by the Swedish choreography that starts backstage and Robin enters the stage well into the song and engage in this Dressman advertising kind of staging. Fans and Swedes will know it, about 99% of the watchers in Europe wil see it for the first time. A great opener indeed.
I was also hoping as late as possible slot for Finland and coming after Montenegro, that will be most likely something else many might find their inner peace and sanity in the next three minutes with the calmness and elegance of Norma John... Or so I hope!
All in all there's more variety in the first half of the first semifinal than the second for sure. Which might help the first half stand out a bit more.
The second semifinal is more even starting with a slower beat but finishing with a bang with Israel.
1. Sweden - Robin Bengtsson - I can't go on
2. Georgia - Tamara Gachechiladze - Keep the faith
3. Australia - Isaiah - Don't come easy
4. Albania - Lindita - World
5. Belgium - Blanche - City lights
6. Montenegro - Slavko Kalezić - Space
7. Finland - Norma John - Blackbird
8. Azerbaijan - Dihaj - Skeletons
9. Portugal - Salvador Sobral - Amar pelois dois
10. Greece - Demy - This is love
11. Poland - Kasia Moś - Flashlight
12. Moldova - Sunstroke Project - Hey mamma
13. Iceland - Svala - paper
14. Czech Republic - Martina Bárta - My turn
15. Cyprus - Hovig - Gravity
16. Armenia - Artsvik - Fly with me
17. Slovenia - Omar Naber - On my way
18. Latvia - Triana Park - Line
1, Serbia - Tijana Bogićević - In too deep
2. Austria - Nathan Trent - Running on air
3. Russia - Julia Samoylova - Flame is burning
4. FYR Macedonia - Jana Burčeska - Dance alone
5. Malta - Claudia Faniello - Breathlessly
6. Romania - Ilinca ft. Alex Florea - Yoel it!
7. The Netherlands - OG3NE - Lights and shadows
8. Hungary - Joci Pápai - Origo
9. Denmark - Anja - Where I am
10. Ireland - Brendan Murray - Dying to try
11. San Marino - Valentina Monetta & Jimmie Wilson - Spirit of the night
12. Croatia - Jacques Houdek - My friend
13. Norway - JOWST - Grab the moment
14. Switzerland - Timebelle - Apollo
15. Belarus - Naviband - Story of my life
16. Bulgaria - Kristian Kostov - Beautiful mess
17. Lithuania - Fusedmarc - Rain of revolution
18. Estonia - Koit Toome & Laura - Verona
19. Israel - IMRI - I feel alive