San Marino was looking for an international act and they have found one in Senit who still isn't from so far from the tiny republic, her accent is clearly that of Bologna. She spoke exclusively to Eurofestival News. She has performed in Germany and Italy, the Unites States and Switzerland and her country of origin, Eritrea. Read here what she thinks about Lena, who's her favourite of recent years, Russia, tour, Italy and will Diane Warren write the song?
"I'm feeling very curious but also a bit nervous" the 31-year-old artists reveals. "Curious because this is a huge international event, and a bit nervous as I have my background in musicals. I never have faced such a competition before so I'm a bit afraid. But I will overcome it." How about represanting San Marino? "I'm very pround. I remain Italian but I'm very pround to work for San Marino. I have always worked abroad, I'm very international and multiethnic. They gave me this huge opportunity. When I told people in ITaly I'm going to Eurovision, they said "Oh that shitty thing?" In San Marino there's enthusiasm, a professional motivated team. I see Italy less convinced and ill prepaired for it which is such a shame. I have watched on DVD all the recent editions as I didn't know Eurovision and I realized what a huge opportunity it is. I hope they will realize it in Italy, too!" Senit ended up to Eurovision thanks to Eddy Anselmi, her dear friend. "He told me about it but as most Italians I was a bit sceptic first but as I said I watched the DVDs. I sent some of my stuff to SMRTV as I heard they were looking for someone like me. After several reunions Carmen Lasorella was convinced and here I am. My luggage are already packed, I'm ready!"
Senit comes from musicals so the visual part and staging will be very important. She names her favourite from the past editions Sirusho, and isn't that fond of Lena. "I'd like to bring a uptempo song, with a lot of energy, but we are still in negotiations with various international songwriters, including Diane Warren who usually writes ballads. We have so many offers from everywhere. Most likely it will be in English but if we find a very valid one in Italian, why not? But we want to differ us from Italy. English also better for the international market. I'm planning a an album and international tour to go with the Eurovision. We will choose the song next week but we will make it public only when it's ready and will take all the time possible!"
The team is now looking for the chorists and musicians to go with Senit, and as soon as the Eurovision single is ready she will hit the road: Albania, Malta, Greece, Caucasus, the ex-USSR countries. In May an EP will be published, maybe with the Italian versions of the songs and maybe in Russian, too. "We noticed Europe is divided in two: one part lives in English, the other in Russian," Meanwhile she has also met with Miodio to talk about things. "They had a beautiful song, shame they didn't do pre-contest PR but I'm happy they have had success abroad afterwords anyways".
And how about Italy? "I don't feel like I'm against Italy, I'm Italian! Shame we can't get votes from Italy though. Maybe we should hire pullmans to bring people to Svizzera to vote!" she jokes but continues more seriously: "I hope Italians will realize Eurovision is not trash but a great musical event. It is right they protect and treasure San Remo as it is our national event but compared to Eurovision it is very small. You can't compare the organisation. In Italy there's still a lot of indiffeence towards Eurovision and for this I'm very proud to represant San Marino. It is small but very determined, ready to fight. Our team is aiming for a good result and ready to work hard for it. Our first goal is to get to the final, then to the top-10. And if we beat Italy that'd be a nice bonus!"



Comments