Skip to main content

BlogIlkar Guest Review vol. 4.2

John Egan's review of the songs of Eurovision 2010 in Oslo continues. Read about him and his thoughts about the Big4 and Norway here. This time he digs into the songs in the Semi-final One:

Although a few participants have dropped out over the last couple of years (hopefully 50/50 jury and televoting in the semi-finals will bring some back), there’s still a queue for the Eurovision. As in previous years we’ll have two semi-finals; this time with 19 songs in each. Ten from each advance to join the give pre-qualified finalists. Overall semi-final one looks like a somewhat easier one: there are probably a dozen songs with a chance of qualifying.

Moldova Run away (English) Sunstroke Project & Olia Tira

If you follow the national finals at all you’ll recognize our Olia’s name—but not her look. She’s a great singer, who’s previously sung lovely songs for lovely girls. And never quite got the ticket for the big show…until now. Here she’s teamed up with one of those great Eastern European electronic dance bands, Sunstroke Project. I really liked this when I first heard it, though the staging at the Moldovan final was a bit shambolic. I am less enamored with the final ESC version: too little Olia, too much of the lead singer from Sunstroke.
Rating 4/5: Some strong elements; a bit too much going on in the end.

Russia Lost and forgotten (English) Peter Nalitch & Friends
Having long ago accepted that Russia could send someone silently glowering on stage and still make the final, qualification isn’t in doubt here. Sadly. Because this is just lame. Whingy singing, not-quite-right English lyrics, all the energy of a funeral. I like quirky…if it’s interesting. This is like watching paint dry, only more annoying. Worst entry of this year’s Contest for me.
Ratings: 1/5: There’s a song in there somewhere, just not a very interesting one.

Estonia Siren Malcolm Lincoln & Manpower 4
After having the worst qualification record in the semi-final era, Estonia roared into the final last year with the wonderful Rändajad . Having the annual Eestilaul organized by someone younger than 60 was a great idea, so they’ve done it again. Siren is a great, interesting song; great vocals and great track. Like last year, this was “the total package”: every camera shot was choreographed perfectly to maximize impact.
I’m just not sure it’ll be appreciated by Eurovision viewers. Juries should like it though. I sure do!
Ratings: 5/5 unique, quality…probably doesn’t bode well.

Slovakia Horehronie (Slovak) Kristina Pelakova
Speaking of poor qualification records, Slovakia’s not done well at all, ever at the Eurovision. After a few appearances in the 90s they took their toys home until the rest of Europe could play nicely. Which Europe hasn’t done the last couple of years since their return. Different year, different song, juries in the mix for the semi-finals. This will easily qualify for the final and I predict end up in the top 10. This is a great song, beautiful track, and it gets folks tapping-and-clapping along. Kristina’s vocals live aren’t always spot-on, but the overall impact should soften that enough. Ruslana won for the Ukraine with something in this genre back in 2004; this girl is no Ruslana. But it’s still quite good.
Rating: 5/5: see Slovakia? It’s not been you, it’s been your entries! We like you!

Finland Työlki ellää (Finnish) Kuunkuiskaajat
For the longest time I felt that Finland got unfairly punished for their unique language at the Eurovision. Until Estonia entered the Contest in the mid-90s and began racking up one top ten result after the other. Then I conceded it was usually the song or performance leading to the low scores. Then along came Lordi, which led to what I consider the best produced Eurovision this decade: Helsinki 2007. And Krisse. Love love love Krisse. But I digress…
Finland’s gone for something very, very Finnish—and yet something very, very familiar to others across Europe. There’s accordions. Handclaps. And a decidedly folkloric feel. Oh, and the girls are hawt!  I think singing in Finnish will seal its fate as a non-qualifier: strong ethnic songs only do well these days if there’s enough folks across Europe who understand the words. Songs in relatively obscure national languages only seem to do well if they are so unique they stand out.  I suggest the girls surprise everyone and go high glam with their look, and reel in the 15 year old boy televotes. Sorry.
Rating: 3/5: May squeak into the final; will end up last if it does.
Latvia What for? (English) Aisha
We have to give credit to Latvia; year after year they send something different. Not always good (OK, I loved last year’s entry…no one else did apparently), but never boring. Here we go again! Falling somewhere between R & B and the blues, What for? caught me off guard when I found myself singing along to my iPhone. Then I watched the performance at the national final and thought “oh dear; needs a lot of work vocally.” If Aisha can nail the vocals here—a big if, if the buzz is correct—this could easily qualify and roar into the top 10. Otherwise I think it might still sneak in because of the catchy chorus and easy-to-understand lyric. But the studio version is one of my favourites this year. Bad sign, really.
Rating: 4/5: Love song; doubts about the singer.

Serbia Ovo je Balkan (Serbian)  Milan Stanković
I’m supposed think this is lame, aren’t I? Sorry I’m loving this! Yes it’s a bit of a rip-off of Sertab’s os-some winner from 2003 (trad meets pop meets hip-hop light), but oh so catchy. And Milan’s got a great voice. Needs a hair cut; great voice. The national final performance has the potential to be a lot of fun (oooh costume changes!), but was rather shambolic. But Serbia’s back in the final for sure, and I expect this will end up just about 10th.
Rating: 4/5: come up with the right staging and this will do very well; leave it as is and it’ll do fine too.

Bosnia & Herzegovina Thunder and lightning (English)  Vukašin Brajić

For the longest time the “peace and love; can’t we all just get along; we’re all brothers and sisters” song was guaranteed a top 10 placing. Singing this in English was the right call: the lyrics are about the political stalemate in BiH. I think folks who care about lyrics will be moved by this. Otherwise, this is a pedestrian, absolutely OK album track. But it’s not a showcase song for the singer and it’s otherwise not very memorable. Squeaker finalist I’m guessing.
Rating: 3/5: high distinction for concept; mere pass for execution.

Poland Legenda (English/Polish)  Marcin Mroziński

I think Marcin’s kinda hawt. I think this is an interesting, well-performed song. But I think it doesn’t leave a strong enough impression on televoters.
Rating: 3/5: Can I be your princess? I’ll vote for you…

Belgium Me and my guitar (English) Tom Dice
If we’re lucky, every year there’s a song that knocks all the Eurovision-by-numbers or let’s-do-what-won-last-year entries right on their bums. Tom who? Tom musician dude! This is a great song and it’s perfect for Tom Dice’s voice—since he wrote it, it should be. Amidst juggling midgets and strip teases, out comes a guy with his guitar. Singing sweetly—and well—about just wanting to make something of a living out of playing his own music. It’s also one of the most polished English lyrics this year. Antwerp 2011 is a distinct possibility—especially with 50% jury voting.
Rating: 5/5: best of the year, should win, very well could win.

Next: part II of semi-final one!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SONGS OF THE YEAR 2015: #5 KRISTA SIEGFRIDS - ON & OFF

Krista Siegfrids is delivering nice pop tunes one after another and this one is particularly catchy and soon you will be singing along..... Hopefully her Melodifestivalen entry will be equally good!

ESC 2016 WISH LIST: MARGARET FOR POLAND

Małgorzata Jamroży aka Margaret has also been tipped for Eurovision and apparently she did turn it down but she'd be perfect. She's got a look and persona you can't unnotice nor forget, she's got hit songs, she has been voted or nominated for everything from Trendy artist to the Hope of the Year, Fashion Icon and Glamour Woman of the year besides the usual best video, song, album, debut..... Oh she's also a fashion designer! She's very clever with social medias and would surely use it to her advantage if selected for Stockholm 2016. Her debut album is titled Add the blonde , do we need to say more? Except it includes mostly Swedish written pop tunes like Tell me how are ya , Wasted , Start a fire and Heartbeat . And of course her debut single and internationally noticed Thank you very much that you can enjoy below with all its anti-textil feel. I think she's Eurovision perfection, she's cheeky and fun, can we have her?

UK: Naked Blue

The boys of Blue have posed nude again. This time for the Attitude magazine's annual Naked issue and they are also in the cover. Watch the video of the shooting here . Band member Duncan, who is bi-sexual, recently told The Daily Star : “We are getting our kit off for Attitude magazine like the McFly boys did. I’m up for showing everything off. I’m happy enough about the size of my manhood. ” Extra media attention won't hurt their changes in Germany to win it for the UK for the first time since 1997... They will and they can!

FINLAND: REMEMBERING KIRKA

GOODBYE, FAREWELL...

The time has come. After all these years, 5,7 million visits, 12.000 articles I guess the time has come. As much as I love and care for Eurovision it just doesn't feel the same. The Corona years took their toll and the past two years and certain decisions have helped me to mature the idea that next year I will hear the songs for the first time in semi-final just like any so called local.  The bubble has burst. Add the toxicity in social medias and fandom. The arrogant teenagers who saw their first contest somewhere 2017 or even 2021 who think they know it all and only their opinion matters. Did I mention the toxic atmosphere on social medias? I'm too old for that sh*t. It's been a long ride that took me to various Eurovision on spot as a fan and tourist,  as a journalist, as a delegation member. I met some great people, made memories of lifetime. In stressful, sad periods of my life this blog has been my safe place, a place to escape and forget everything else for an hour o...

CAROLA'S BOOBS STEAL THE SHOW, SVT APOLOGIES

Update! Another thing got Swedes talking last night: Carola's boobs when she was giving away an award. This is not the first time her boombs cause headlines; her misfortunate adventures in the 80's in Japan wer explained with her boobs being too big for Japanese market. Ok.... Or was it the song ? Anyways, Carola apologies and says she thinks the dress is stylish and elegant (even her friends said so) and she's a mature woman in her 40s, not a 16-year-old girl and looks like one. The Swedish Oscars, Guldbagge awards were given out last night. Carola was there as a guest star to sing Barbra Streisand's The way we were when honoring the movie stars who passed away during 2012. However, the cameras were too much on Carola, not on the stars showed in photos in the background and that upset many viewers as that part of the show was to celebrate them, not Carola. Oh well...  The producer of the show tells in Aftonbladet the part of the show was made the sam...

Boobs for summer: Samantha vs Sabrina!

The old rivals have put their bras (or the lack of them) in peace and entered the studios together to record Blondie's boombastic Call me . Life could be worse.....

JEDWARD GETS NAKED FOR THE FANS

Well, almost. The boys celebrated their 650.000th follower on Twitter by being photographed fresh from shower as promised. It's not the first time they drop their clothes as you see here . Meanwhile their second album is nearly here and the title track Young love is hitting the charts....

ESC 2016 BELARUS: NAKED WITH WOLVES?

Today's funniest Eurovision related story comes from Belarus. Some sources claim Ivan wants to perform on stage naked and with live wolf or wolves. It surely would be a first on Eurovision stage! We have seen some forgotten underwear over the years, and some cardbox animals though..... Is it time to take things a bit further?  No, according the rules live animals are not allowed, and Eurovision being a family show nudity won't do either. (It seems to be ok to be half naked if you are a dancer though..... )

CZECH REPUBLIC: MARTINA BÁRTA PRESENTS MY TURN

Czech Republic's internally chosen Martina Bárta has released her entry My turn for the Eurovision as well today. Not sure if I managed to keep my attention level very high for very long when listening to it.... Shame.