Skip to main content

JUNIOR EUROVISION 2015 FINAL TONIGHT

The 13th Junior Eurovision song contest will take place tonight in Sofia, Bulgaria, as last year's runner up as Italy turned down to host the show. All of 17 countries are taking part, the highest number since the second edition in 2004 with 18. In 2012-2013 the number had dropped to 12 and the whole contest was becoming a minor joke. New people in charge have made a miracle and in the recent days there have been talks of the Baltic states and France maybe joining in next year.... We will see!
It's no secret this blogger has never warmed up to this, and thus also this year I'm having a look what's in offer just when the rehearsals are already on and the final nearly here. I won't even see the final live as I will be doing something else but may catch up watching the show later on ....
However I was quite surprised as the songs this year aren't that bad when heard for the first time. I still have the problem to whom this contest is aimed: kids singing for kids or kids pretending to be adults? As the Nordic MGP for kids is clearly aimed for kids, singing childish songs and being somewhat younger this Jesc borders with some weird stuff; some songs and singers could easily do the real thing - after all if you are 15 looking like an adult why are you here? Wait one year and try the main thing! But I try to ignore all that and have my say on the songs. And yes, one song shines high above the others, but then... it could/should be that country's Eurovision 2016 entry instead and would do well there..



1. Serbia - Lena Stamenković (11) - Lenina pesma ****
Nice song and voice, but nothing child like here. This could be Serbia's entry in the real thing if sung by someone five years older.... But very good and one of my clear favorites here.
2. Georgia - The Virus (11-12) - Gabede *
I don't find any excuse but Eurovision to listen this sort of song for more than once..... I would say the same if this was performed by some teenagers in the real thing. 
3. Slovenia - Lina Kuduzović (12) - Prva ljubezen *****
This is actually very good! But then it's written by Maraaya. This could also very well do the adult version if sung by someone a bit older. Or even by her if the rules allowed.  My absolute favorite! This is a song I would listen outside Eurovision and propably will...
4. Italy - Chiara & Martina (15) - Viva ***
Italian twins sing a song by Gigi D'Alessio. Simple and catchy, a bit shouty and totally unoriginal I'm afraid. Sounds more like an opening tune to some variety show and one minute would be enough....
5. Netherlands - Shalisa (15) - Million lights ***
Nice and forgettable. Also this could be straight from the adult one. 
Nothing childish about it in any way...
6. Australia - Bella Page (14) - My girls ***
A song by Delta Goodrem. Originally written for an adult. The idea with Jesc and Esc becomes very confusing here. Like I wrote before I guess that's my main issue with Jesc, I don't get who it is aimed for; for the kids or us? I'd prefer kids singing childlike songs for kids instead of imitating adults even in their stage acts and if I heard this one on radio there's absolutely nothing to makes me think of Jesc or kids...
7. Ireland - Aimee Banks (13) - Réalta na Mara **
First of all it's wonderful to hear Irish again! Then again soprano? Is this Talent Kid Europe? Or a fun song contest for kids? I'm gettting more confused with the concept and how I should judge these...
8. Russia - Mikhail Smirnov (12)  - Mechta ***
At least with guys you know they are kids as their voice hasn't broken yet. 
Forgettable and predictabe song but then it could come alive on stage.....
9. Macedonia - Ivana Petkovska (13) & Magdalena Aleksovska (13)  - Pietenka *
Yawn..... This is childish yes, but in a wrong way and might work if the singers were 10 years old....
10. Belarus - Ruslan Aslanov (13) - Volshebstvo ***
Good voice and pretty song, a bit overblown production. Could be from the adult one, too
11. Armenia - Mika (12) - Love **
Irritating in every way...... Feels very calculated but I guess people will buy this and it will end up high on the scoreboard.
12. Ukraine - Anna Trincher (14)  - Pochny z sebe **
What's kidlike in her and this song? The washed up face instead of make up (in this preview video)? The performance standing still instead of moving hips? I'm getting annoyed.... way too adult in every way. Also the song itself feels pretty unfinished and bland.
13. Bulgaria - Gabriela Yordanova (13) & Ivan Stoyanov - Color of hope *
A standard ageless Eurovision song...... in good and in bad especially.
14. San Marino - Kamila Ismailova (11) - Mirror ****
This is the moment I put my love for San Marino on hold for various reason even if I fully understand the reasons... . Her Italian sounds like a sheep in heat but when she sings in English it's ok. (Ed.note: On the other hand the song is insanely catchy, this is the one I had playing in my head when I tried to go to sleep after reviewing this). San Marino is heading for their best result no doubt, effective staging, but then again.... not very Junior, is it?
15. Malta - Destiny Chukunyere (13) - Not my soul ***
Malta is an endless source for great voices. But then again what's there for Jesc worthy? 
Her age.... nothing else. 
16. Albania - Mishela Rapo - Dambaje ****
Nice song, well sung. Comes and goes.... but there's something very sweet about it. Feels a lot more honest than most of the others. Thumbs up for that.
17. Montenegro - Jana Mirković (15) - Oluja ***
Ok, this last one underlines all that's wrong with Jesc..... I want more of THIS ->
So, my votes go to Slovenia,, Serbia, San Marino and Albania. Good songs and good voices but then .... not very Jesc. None of the songs this year is very much aimed for kids.... sadly so.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ESC 2016 WISH LIST: MARGARET FOR POLAND

Małgorzata Jamroży aka Margaret has also been tipped for Eurovision and apparently she did turn it down but she'd be perfect. She's got a look and persona you can't unnotice nor forget, she's got hit songs, she has been voted or nominated for everything from Trendy artist to the Hope of the Year, Fashion Icon and Glamour Woman of the year besides the usual best video, song, album, debut..... Oh she's also a fashion designer! She's very clever with social medias and would surely use it to her advantage if selected for Stockholm 2016. Her debut album is titled Add the blonde , do we need to say more? Except it includes mostly Swedish written pop tunes like Tell me how are ya , Wasted , Start a fire and Heartbeat . And of course her debut single and internationally noticed Thank you very much that you can enjoy below with all its anti-textil feel. I think she's Eurovision perfection, she's cheeky and fun, can we have her?

SONGS OF THE YEAR 2015: #5 KRISTA SIEGFRIDS - ON & OFF

Krista Siegfrids is delivering nice pop tunes one after another and this one is particularly catchy and soon you will be singing along..... Hopefully her Melodifestivalen entry will be equally good!

ESC 2013: SERBIA'S BIG GUNS

Serbia is one of the most succesful Eurovision countries in the recent years and this blogger 's favorites. This year I am again very curiously waiting for their entry and what they will offer us when they have a national final once again after last year's internal selection. Many bigger and smaller names have been rumored to have sent a song, or have confirmed so themselves. Among then a 63-year-old disco diva Neda Ukraden , Eurovision veteran Vukašin Brajić 's OT Band, Danijel Pavlovic who is Marija Serifovic's step-brother, national final veteran Ana Nikolic and other names like Nenad Cvijetic , Dejan Petrovic, Zejna , Ivana Pavkovic , Vanja Mijatovic .... Let's see who really are in when the final 15 out of 80 will be announced for the March 2, 2013 final. These 15 will be cut to five for the superfinal by televoting. Then we have Bojan Bjelic , who apparently was sending his song Mora before he decided not to blaming the contest is fixed and Serbian

Et voilà! Anggun presents Echo (You and I)

So today we finally heard the French entry in Eurovision 2012 in Baku by Anggun. Echo (You and I ) is rather bizarre mix of many things and just when you think you get it the songs takes a turn to another direction. Whistling all along. Very catchy it is. Call it an earworm if you want. Still I wouldn't scream a winning entry but... we will see. In Patricia Kaas like ending me thinks.

ESC 2016 BELARUS: NAKED WITH WOLVES?

Today's funniest Eurovision related story comes from Belarus. Some sources claim Ivan wants to perform on stage naked and with live wolf or wolves. It surely would be a first on Eurovision stage! We have seen some forgotten underwear over the years, and some cardbox animals though..... Is it time to take things a bit further?  No, according the rules live animals are not allowed, and Eurovision being a family show nudity won't do either. (It seems to be ok to be half naked if you are a dancer though..... )

GOODBYE, FAREWELL...

The time has come. After all these years, 5,7 million visits, 12.000 articles I guess the time has come. As much as I love and care for Eurovision it just doesn't feel the same. The Corona years took their toll and the past two years and certain decisions have helped me to mature the idea that next year I will hear the songs for the first time in semi-final just like any so called local.  The bubble has burst. Add the toxicity in social medias and fandom. The arrogant teenagers who saw their first contest somewhere 2017 or even 2021 who think they know it all and only their opinion matters. Did I mention the toxic atmosphere on social medias? I'm too old for that sh*t. It's been a long ride that took me to various Eurovision on spot as a fan and tourist,  as a journalist, as a delegation member. I met some great people, made memories of lifetime. In stressful, sad periods of my life this blog has been my safe place, a place to escape and forget everything else for an hour o

Summer songs: Samantha Fox & Sabrina - Call me

Summertime is the time for cover versions and remixes. The late 1980's war of the boombs is over when Samantha and Sabrina put their bras together and cover Blondie's Call me in peace and harmony. Amore, chiamami!

GREECE: HELENA PAPARIZOU HITS AGAIN WITH HAIDE

Eurovision song contest 2005 winner Helena Paparizou has been enjoying Top-5 hits every year since 2003 with the exception of 2010 and 2014, this latest one being already her 27th! And Haide is charting also in Bulgaria and Finland, of all places. The catchiness of her hits has changed less over the years than her face....  Here's the English version , below the Greek version. 

Blogilkar Exclusive: RAMBO AMADEUS INTERVIEW

My flying reporter Robert met Rambo Amadeus in his hotel this morning and what an interesting and entertaining meet it was! Unfortunately the time wasn't enough as this man has lots to tell about many topics. However, here are the main things! Thank you Rambo for this interview and first of all, how an earth Montenegro wanted you to represent them in Eurovision? I don't know! I really don't know. I didn't want to ask any questions why they wanted me. So they came to you, you didn't go to them? Of course. Everybody comes to me..... And everybody knows you and that you are bit, maybe a lot, Eurovision skeptic. Why did they come to you then? Well, I think they want the audience to pay attention to them? I think the new, young and ambitious director of RTCG decided to do some kind of shock therapy. He probably thinks there's nothing to lose. I asked him "Are you sure? Do you know my work?" and he said yes. I think they are learning how to g

EUROVISION 2024.... COMING UP!